Writer's Guidelines for Dog & Driver
The Magazine for the International Sled Dog Racing Association
Dog & Driver is the magazine of The International Sled Dog Racing Association or ISDRA. It is published six times a year and features articles concerning all aspects of sled dog sports. Articles dealing with sled dog races, sled dog care and nutrition, first-hand accounts of races, sled dog training, sled dog equipment, and anything that pertains to the care and training of sled dogs are welcomed provided you follow the guidelines below
· We urge contributors to study Dog & Driver before submitting material. A sample copy is available for $3 US.
· We prefer detailed query letters but will also consider unsolicited manuscripts. Please let us know if you have published clips available. Send all queries and submissions to Dog & Driver, Helen Lundberg, Senior Editor, PO Box 970, Willow, AK 99688. Always include SASE with every query or submission or it goes in the trash -- no exceptions. You may also submit queries and manuscripts in TEXT FORMAT ONLY via e-mail to Helen Lundberg. Do not send attachments -- keep your submissions in the body of the e-mail.
· Article and column formats (paper submission): Feature articles and columns must be typed on one side, double-spaced, on 8 1/2 x 11 white paper. Photocopies are fine. On the first page, in the header area, have your name, address, phone number and any other appropriate contact information. Repeat this contact information at the bottom of the last page. Each subsequent page must have your last name, the article name, and page number at the top of each page. If you are unsure how to do this, a good reference guide is The Writer's Digest Guide to Manuscript Formats by Buchman and Groves. (Email submission): Double spaced with contact information on the first "page." Length of articles: 1500-2500 words. Length of columns: 800-1000 words.
· Fillers: Poetry, cartoons, crossword puzzles, shorts (under 100 words). (Paper submission) Each submission must be typed double-spaced, on one side of the page on 8 1/2 x 11 white paper. On each submission, have your name, address, phone number and any other appropriate contact information in the header. (Email submission): Double spaced with contact information on the first "page."
· Photos: query. Photos should be black and white or color photographs or in tif, or jpeg format. If we accept your article, we'll request your article either e-mailed or submitted on 3 1/2 inch disk in MS Word format.
· TIPS: What we need: We are looking for well-written articles with an emphasis on sled dogs and sled dog care. How-to's, race coverage, profiles, interviews, personal experience, travel, humor, fiction, history, race accounts, seasonal are all welcome. No Animal Rights or "Mushing is cruel" articles. No tributes to pets, talking animals, or "my first sledding experience."